• Naomi Kiyoko Wilson

How to Set Goals: Part 1

Updated: Mar 27


As January progresses, more and more people give up on the ambitious goals they set for the new year and revert back to their old ways. By the end of January, only 25% of people who set goals stuck to them, according to Forbes. The remaining 75% will have likely told themselves that they have failed, and wait till the dawn of the following new year to start the same cycle.

It’s not productive or healthy to believe we must wait for the perfect opportunity to try something new and transform our lives for the better. This thinking is the biggest obstacle in your path to upgrading your life.

Are you ready to break out of this mindset and finally cross off those items your bucket list? If so, keep reading.

Discovering a motive to change coupled with daily actions towards achieving the desired goal is what ultimately distinguishes go-getters from the average person. Here are my tips on taking your goal-setting skills to the next level:

1. Imagine the type of person that you want to become.

Do you want to run a successful company? Travel the world? Obtain a Ph.D.? Learn a new language? Whatever it may be, put it on a list (and feel free to get creative) to get a better idea of the types of goals that you should set.

2. Think about your motivation behind making your goals.

You are more likely to stick to a goal if you have a solid reason behind your objective. For example, you may want to learn Chinese if you want to conduct business in China in the future. However, if your motivation to doing something is solely based on impressing someone or being able to add it on your college application or job resume, you will likely have a harder time adhering to your plan.

3. Develop specific steps on how you can achieve your goal.

Sticking with the example of learning a new language, this may be downloading Duolingo on your phone, taking an online class, participating in a language exchange, or traveling to a country where the language is commonly spoken. Put these steps on a list and arrange them in chronological order.

4. Evaluate how much time you have every day to work on your goal and make a plan accordingly.

You may opt to take an online course if you have an hour to spare, however Duolingo may be a better option if you can only squeeze in five to ten minutes into your schedule. Make sure you actually add these activities to your calendar; the last thing you want is to create an excellent plan only to forget about it or not follow up on it later.

5. Plan out short-term and long-term rewards when you complete your daily goals.

If you have consistently completed your daily share of Duolingo for 4 weeks, reward yourself by eating out at a restaurant where the language is spoken (bonus points if you practice ordering in that language!). A long term goal could be taking a vacation to a country where the language is spoken once you become fluent.

Today (yes, today) is the perfect opportunity to change your life for the better. If there is something that you have always wanted to do, why wait? Make your life yours.

  • Black Instagram Icon

naomi@benefactioninternational.com​

St Paul, MN, USA

©2020 by Benefaction International